Tuesday, October 23, 2018

The Value Of Manus Knits



Many knitters oft hear, "But you lot tin buy that at Target for $12."  Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 relatively mutual protestation from non-knitters when they honor out how much yarn costs, or they await at a toll tag on your knitwear at a arts and crafts show.

True Value

If you're a regular reader hither at QueerJoe, you lot know I've been working on a relatively unproblematic cardigan for myself...nothing crazy...just a v-neck cardigan.

The other 24-hour interval at our local flea market, 1 of the women who sells used have on had piles of have on on her tabular array (more than usual) together with I picked upwardly this sweater for a dollar.


The sweater is a really similar colouring to the sweater I'm knitting.  It besides has ii pockets that are nicer than the pockets I knit into the trunk of my sweater.  It came monogrammed alongside a "W", which is the start alphabetic quality of my concluding name.  It besides has a Princeton University shield on the dorsum of it together with I grew upwardly together with alive most this beautiful college town.  It fits me perfectly.  It's warm together with looks practiced on me.  It's inward exceptionally practiced cast for a used garment (doesn't seem to convey been e'er worn).  I similar it a lot.

Does paying a dollar for a sweater at the local flea marketplace pose devalue my handknit cardigan?

Not inward the least.  How do you lot value the pride of having designed together with created a slice of have on alongside mere yarn together with needles?  Getting to select the guess of the cloth for my handknit sweater, together with therefore that it is perfect for wearing inward an air-conditioned film family or for a quick jaunt to the grocery shop makes a handknit fifty-fifty to a greater extent than valuable to me (the $1 sweater is 100% acrylic together with a chip to a greater extent than warm than I actually wanted).

And would you lot actually compare enjoying a 24-hour interval of line-fishing (if you lot savour fishing) alongside the toll of fish at the grocery store?

Current Knitting/Cranking

The start sleeve is yet inward progress on the Silky Wool Cardigan together with I finished the twin sock on Gerty yesterday equally well.


Finn insisted on beingness inward the photo...oh, together with I besides sewed upwardly the hem lining on the sleeve. 

Related Post

The Value Of Manus Knits
4/ 5
Oleh