Sunday, October 14, 2018

The Joy Of Gay Knitting



For over 10 years now, I've been denying that the Men's Spring Knitting Retreat is a gay event, but truth survive told...it's pretty gay...and it's pretty joyous.

Correcting the Record

There was an amazing amount of joy generated at the most recent Men's Spring Knitting Retreat.  There were 41 guys at the retreat, amongst the vast bulk of them identifying equally gay.

To survive honest, when most of us discovery out well-nigh a human who knits, our commencement supposition is that he is gay.

Don't acquire me wrong...straight together with bi guys are allowed to attend the retreat...in fact, they're quite welcome.  And nosotros never "out" the at ane time guys at my retreat.  They're welcome to top equally gay if they prefer.

And too know that it takes a lot of balls to knit when you're a at ane time man...and fifty-fifty to a greater extent than thus to attend an effect where you're a minority.

But honestly, a large business office of the appeal of the community at the Men's Spring Knitting Retreat is coming together upwards amongst other guys who are already a minority because of their chosen craft/art/hobby.  It's an amazing sense to sit down downward amongst a grouping of guys without having to worry well-nigh how onlookers volition react...no fawning, no disdain, no beingness ignored...just encouragement, back upwards together with learning.

I know at that spot are closed to knitter-men (and closed to knitter-men's wives) who discovery the take in of a generally gay effect to survive off-putting (or worse).  Trust me, I have got received closed to pretty hatefully, ignorant e-mails hollo for why our events are "so gay."  But truth survive told, closed to of the most courageous guys who attend the men's knitting retreats are the ones that attend amongst the agreement that we're all a minority inwards full general monastic enjoin together with tin relax inwards the confidence that they know who they are together with manage a retreat isn't going to alter who they are.

So if you'd similar to become dorsum through the photos of the guys at the retreat this twelvemonth together with attempt together with selection out the at ane time ones, I'd tell yous that it's non worth the effort.  But at to the lowest degree inwards my eyes, they acquire kudos for their confidence, agreement together with courage.

Drag Photo

The photograph higher upwards was taken of me during the latest Men's Spring Knitting Retreat.  I had been pondering aloud to closed to of the participants what would locomote on to the retreat if I decided to transition to beingness a adult woman (because I would no longer survive allowed to attend, never take away heed coordinate the event).  Shortly later on that conversation, at that spot was a lull inwards activity at the retreat (a large grouping of guys had gone to a local sheep farm for yarn buy together with a dyeing workshop), thus I decided to cheque out the "drag closet" at Easton Mountain (named "The Candy Store" - Candy is the cupboard creator's drag name).  It was chock-full of wigs, dresses, shoes, make-up, jewelry, together with other accessories, together with I decided to consider what it would survive like.

Funny story...as I was walking upstairs into the primary room, ane of the retreat participants saw me walking upwards the stairs (in heels) together with politely acknowledged me, clearly trying to aspect equally non-plussed equally possible thus he didn't scandalize the ugly drag queen.  I laughed at his reaction, together with solely together with then did he recognize it was me.  It was an amusing one-half hr of my life together with I have got to say, wearing a wig, wearing stockings, walking inwards heels, together with sitting inwards a brusk clothing without flashing others are all enormously uncomfortable.  Dressing inwards drag is non all glamour...let me tell you.

Guys looking at the photograph on my telephone of me dressed upwards (safely dorsum inwards my Hot Dog Johnnies t-shirt)

Current Knitting

I ended upwards purchasing closed to of the handpainted yarns that Michael Ross dyed at the tag sale at the retreat together with take in they would brand awesome babe booties.


I was right...no?  These beauties volition adorn a babe blanket gift for ane of my nieces who is expecting.

Related Post

The Joy Of Gay Knitting
4/ 5
Oleh