Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Is Facebook Spying On You?

Have you lot ever had a conversation amongst mortal in addition to within days (or sometimes hours or minutes), a "Sponsored" post service appears inwards your Facebook feed for the EXACT matter you lot were discussing?

Paranoid Much?

It turns out my espresso machine was acting a flake cranky in addition to Thaddeus knows this machine within in addition to out, in addition to thus he took a await at it.  We discussed brew heads, gaskets, the house where nosotros purchase most of our machine equipment (Seattle Coffee Gear), our java grind, etc.

Thaddeus went to his reckoner in addition to did google searches, eBay searches in addition to Amazon clicks on diverse products including going to the Seattle Coffee Gear spider web site.

Two hours later, this appeared inwards my Facebook feed (on both my lap top in addition to my iPhone).


There were other to a greater extent than specific ads from Seattle Coffee Gear most gaskets, Rocket espresso machines in addition to brew heads.

I was a flake freaked out.

I don't utilization Thaddeus' reckoner at all.  He in addition to I don't part userid's or passwords for anything...not Google, non Amazon, non eBay, non Safari, non iTunes, non iCloud, etc.  No overlap at all.

We produce part the same WiFi network, in addition to thus I assumed it mightiness live on around grouped IP address target advertising.

Until I saw this!


Facebook absolutely denies that they head inwards through my iPhone microphone.  But they also stated publicly that Russian bots in addition to interference inwards the 2016 election using the Facebook platform was ridiculous.

H5N1 friend of mine related a similar storey to discussing Taco Bell inwards Flemington, NJ amongst his appointment spell he was scrolling through Facebook...guess what sponsored advert showed upwardly inwards his feed?  Not simply Taco Bell, but the Taco Bell inwards Flemington, NJ.  And he had never gotten a Taco Bell advert before.  Nor had I ever gotten an espresso company's advert on my feed until this latest incident.

I'm sorry...that's likewise large of a coincidence...Facebook is simply fucking lying.

Suffice it to say I turned off Facebook's access to my iPhone microphone (as good every bit whatever other app).  I tin ever plough it dorsum on if I desire to "go live" on Facebook or tape videos on Instagram.

Current Knitting

On to the side past times side department of the Silky Wool Cardigan.


If all goes every bit planned, this volition eventually exceed away a sleeve.

Readers' Comments/Questions

Someone (Julie??) mentioned that the pockets on the Silky Road Cardigan are rather small.

It was done this agency on purpose...the pockets were to a greater extent than a pattern characteristic than a functional pocket, but fifty-fifty aesthetically, I concur the pockets are smaller than I would convey liked.  I'll visit making them await bigger (even if I don't brand them whatever bigger.

Related Post

Is Facebook Spying On You?
4/ 5
Oleh