Saturday, October 27, 2018

A Ane Yard One Thousand Critical Adjustments


Standard flat-bed knitting machines are complex together with pick out a lot of moving parts.  Circular sock knitting machines chemical compound the complexity past times converting the needle bed(s) into a circular configuration.  Sock knitting machines amongst ribbers are fifty-fifty to a greater extent than confounding.  Antique Sock Knitting Machines amongst ribbers are ridiculous!

Don't Touch a Fucking Thing!

In my latest attempts at bringing Gerdy (my rear for my 1924 Circular Sock Knitting Machine) dorsum to an active life, I pick out done the following:
  • Replaced the cylinder restrict which holds inward all the needles
  • Fixed chips on the overstep of the cylinder slots
  • Verified all needles are non broken or jammed
  • Fixed a broken heel tension spring
  • Adjusted the cam lifter springs
  • Adjusted the yarn feeder (both distance from the cylinder together with summit of the feeder)
  • Oiled the needles, crank together with cylinder
  • Adjusted the run upwards length (multiple times equally this affects the guess of the knitted fabric
 All of these changes permit me to brand a elementary underground together with usage brusk row heels together with toes together with imitation rib.

With the ribber attachment I have:
  • Verified/replaced all ribber needles to brand certain all are working correctly
  • Adjusted the ribber plate summit screw
  • Adjusted the centering screw
  • Adjusted the timing screw
  • Adjusted the cylinder slot adjustment
  • Re-adjusted the yarn feeder height
After MANY re-jiggerings of each adjustment on the ribber, I tin at 1 time (sometimes) usage ribbing (knits together with purls).


As an illustration of how persnickety this machine tin be, I decided that the delivered yarn carrier head:


Should live replaced amongst a newer, to a greater extent than slow to purpose version that is made for machines similar mine:


That 1 "minor" modify took days of rejiggering, re-adjusting together with cursing to hold upwards realize that I powerfulness never live able to perish both the cylinder together with the ribber working...so I seat dorsum the sometime business office together with settled for non beingness able to take the yarn without breaking it.

I'm hopeful it volition live smoothing sailing at 1 time that everything seems to live working inward harmony...for the moment.

Current Knitting/Spinning

Droning on well-nigh my electrical current WIP, I pick out added a few inches to the ever-growing Read Between the Lines Shawl.


You'll regime annotation I pick out come upwards almost to the terminate of the kickoff 2 cakes of yarn, together with I'll live debating on what colors to laid out adding into the fray today sometime.

I also seat inward about to a greater extent than run on spinning my electrical current favorite roving.


I'm thinking well-nigh triple plying these singles into what volition likely terminate upwards beingness a DK or light-worsted weight yarn, having individual dye it for me, together with and thus making a sweater or a vest amongst it.  I know it doesn't expect similar much right now, but inward my mind, that is a photograph of a magnificent garment.

Related Post

A Ane Yard One Thousand Critical Adjustments
4/ 5
Oleh